Thursday, January 20, 2011

Coping Mechanisms

What are your coping mechanisms? Food has always been mine, but I want to change that. I mean, I am changing that. When everything is in upheaval, and spiraling out of control I want to eat. Why? I DON'T know...it's just the thing I do. It's calming, enjoyable, satisfying, non-combative and soothing. Everyone copes some how...for others it can be nasty, ugly habits like drug use, alcohol, even sex. All of those things in abundance can be dangerous, over-eating included. I recognize my coping mechanism, stuffing wonderful, delicious food in my mouth, but now I have to change the way I cope. The way I deal with stress, excitement, disappointment, success and sorrow. I know a lot of people out in the world don't believe in God or Jesus, but I DO. I know he's real, I know he exists...he's been the leader of my life for some time now. Spiritually, I've been detached from Jesus when it comes to this area of my life. It's like this is an area that I won't release to God, because it's kind of become an idol. I know that sounds serious, but if something, anything that you do or have becomes categorized as off limits to God, then I believe it's become an idol. Something you REALLY don't want to give up. I want to be different, I want to let go of food, I want to open this area up to Jesus and allow him to change what I can't. I want to turn to him when I can't cope, I want to turn to him when I celebrate, I want Jesus to be my coping mechanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment